Friday, July 14, 2006

It's good to be the King?


A chat with Stephen King about good and evil:
"I'm impressed by something C.S. Lewis said about Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy: 'As good as Tolkien was at depicting good, he was much more effective at depicting evil.' I think that's true, and I think that it's easier for all of us to grasp evil, because it's a simpler concept, and good is layered and many-faceted. I've always tried to contrast that bright, white light of real goodness or Godliness against evil."

I found this pretty interesting. How much easier is it to understand evil. It makes sense to us. Pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, and sloth. Those 7 deadly ones and so many more. We all struggle with them. It is easier to do them then to not do them. It is just the opposite for good. It is not natural for us to do good. So many times we do good because we will benefit from it. Do our selfish desires motivate us to do good? If so, can we really call it good?

Luke 9:23

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

Is the only way to do good by dieing to ourselves? (This questions are more retorical then literal.) The root of good I think lies in Love. Love for God or love for others should motivate us to do good. But good is hard to fully explain because our motives can be decieving. Anyway, something to think about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home